[mythtv-users] Animated themes?

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Jan 14 19:12:09 UTC 2008

Arjan Schrijver wrote:
> Hi,
> As I'm new to MythTV and I can't find anything on the web about animated
> themes, here's my question: are there any?
> Is it even possible to have animated themes yet? I mean animated
> backgrounds and menu items.
> And perhaps animated (I mean really animated, as opposed to OpenGL
> fades) switching between menus?
> Please correct me if this question is really stupid.
> Regards,
> Arjan

Not really at the moment you can have animated icons but that is all.

I was playing about with the new UI code over Christmas mainly because I
was a bit ignorant of the new UI code and what is needed to be looked at
to get it finished. I started looking at ways to animate things just to
get a feel for the code and updated the base UIType, which all the UI
widgets inherit from, so you could animate both it's size and position
and soon had the images zooming in and out and zipping about the screen
in the themed menus. For example it allowed you to animate the watermark
images in the menus when you scrolled up or down the menus so they could
either zoom into view or slide in from somewhere or a combination of the
two. Bearing in mind this was Christmas and I might have had a few I was
thinking this is great!!  but now I'm sober I'm not so sure ;-) You soon
get bored with it.

Anyway I'm not really the person to entrust making UI changes like this
since I'm only to well aware my theming and UI skills are non existent!
MythArchive's UI is always being slagged of :-( mostly by fellow devs
stuartm and justinh on irc I believe ;-)

I might take another look later after the 0.21 release. If anyone has
some ideas of how the interface should be animated let me know.

Paul H.