[mythtv-users] HD Channels and Time-Warner Cable

Ty Unes riverty at kc.rr.com
Mon Jan 14 18:15:52 UTC 2008

I have limited knowledge about cable systems and HD content. Par this
with the different ways of tuning HD channels in MythTV and I'm left
with a question of two.

My normal setup includes 2 PVR-150 cards connected to TW Cable and 1 ATI
HDTV Wonder card connected to an HD antenna on top of my house. This has
worked great for quite some time now. Today, I thought I would connect
TW cable to my HD card and see what happens. I have performed various
scans on this card and found channels as follows:

Standard TW cable hooked to DTV input on ATIHD card with QAM-256.

Cable High = None
Cable HRC High = None
Cable IRC High = None
Cable = None
Cable HRC = None
Cable IRC = None

Standard TW cable hooked to CATV input on ATIHD card with QAM-256

Cable High =
83#2
85#1-23
93#7
94#6
100#3
100#8
112#4
113#4-7
115#12

Cable HRC High = None

Cable IRC High =
77#1
83#2
85#1-23
93#7
94#6
100#3
100#8
111#7
112#4
113#4-7
115#12

Cable =
77#1
83#2
85#1-23
93#7
94#6
100#3
100#8
111#7
112#4
113#4-7
115#12

Cable HRC = None

Cable IRC =
77#1
83#2
85#1-23
94#6
100#3
100#8
111#7
112#4
113#4-7
115#12

First question. What is the difference between Cable / Cable IRC / Cable
HRC / and the like. With only a few exceptions, they see to find the
same channels. What should I be using for this?

Second question. What's the deal with certain channels finding
"sub-channels" underneath like channel 85#1 - 23? What does this mean?
Channel 85#1 has content, channels 85#2 - 23 does not. Why all the
"sub-channels"?

Third question. Should I try scanning with something other than QAM-256?

Any other comments that would be helpful, please advise.

Thanks all!

--
Ty Unes - UNIX / Linux Administrator
Point b Computer Services