[mythtv-users] Can myth DVD output 7.1 audio?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jan 12 22:28:14 UTC 2008

On 01/12/2008 05:06 PM, Paul Catchpole wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> Reading this ticket was interesting, but I don't get it.  How would such
>>> a setup be...setup?  I can do 7.1 now if I simply pass-thru to my sound
>>> card (at least I think I can) and my receiver can deal with it.  So what
>>> does the work this ticket describes do?  Can someone explain it, please?
>> Allows 5.1-channel audio output through analog (or 5.1-channel
>> re-encoding for timestretch).  Without the patch, you have 2 choices,
>> 2-channel analog and/or AC-3/DTS passthrough.
> Isn't there a third choice here? Without the patch, setting myth to use
> the 6-channel device and setting maxchannels to 6 will cause myth to
> output 6-channel audio correctly. The patch addresses the problem that
> then occurs with 2-channel audio sources where the same 6-channel device
> is used, leading to 2-speaker output - whereas the current version of
> the patch will upmix for you. The old version of the patch would let you
> choose an alternative output device for using your own upmixer.
>
> That's how it works for me, anyhoo... :-)

Without the patch, if Myth decodes the audio, it only outputs
2-channels.  If you do any kind of external upmixing/copying (i.e. using
ALSA's ttable), you're not getting 5.1 or 7.1 channel audio, but you
could get audio out on 6 or 8 speakers...

However, technically, you could say that 2-channel digital output is a
3rd choice (because i forgot the "or digital" in my response).

Note that there is no 'MaxChannels' without the patch.

Mike