[mythtv-users] Direct HD encoding from component....

lemongecko at gmail.com lemongecko at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 21:18:27 UTC 2008

On 1/11/08, David George <david at thegeorges.us> wrote:
> On 01/11/2008 03:14 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:
>
> Where does he say he is watching 1080p TV?  He says he has a 1080p
> display as several people do (including me).  Also, ATSC has 18 formats
> and two are 1080p (1080p24 and 1080p30).  Here is a link for you:
> http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_is_ATSC.html

That's great, but none of the broadcasters are using it anything
beyond 720p/1080i and won't be any time during the product lifecycle
of this new Hauppauge device. Those two ATSC subspecs are effectively
irrelevant.

As otherwise mentioned, 1080i is the highest thing you're going to get
out of component. Oh, not because it's physically impossible to do.
Implementing  1080p 10 years ago when the first HDTVs rolled out was
insanely cost-prohibitive. Since the TVs didn't support it, the tuners
didn't bother, because it would have been more expensive for them,
too. And the only reason the content producers let us get away with it
today is because the cat is out of the bag, so to speak. They saw the
potential of HD discs to deliver master-quality video and thus created
the new interface.

Armed with that, what's the purpose of the device?  Seems to me it's
for recording the "lesser" video standards. From a cable box, maybe
even a satellite tuner. You know, the kind of stuff you might want to
capture with a PVR?

I get the whole "but I want my 1080p" thing. However, I was replying
to a poster that was concerned about his processor being unable to
cope. I suggested another option.