[mythtv-users] Direct HD encoding from component....

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Jan 11 18:51:17 UTC 2008

David Brieck Jr. <dbrieck at gmail.com> quoted from AVSforum:
> This is an ideal card to capture HD video from a cable or DBS STB
> over it's component analog outputs.

This is one thing that concerns me because I've never used it, but
shows a S/PDIF jack on the back of the DCT6200. I hope my boxes have
it enabled.

> It appears from comments made on the Sage forums by Sage staff that
> they have already been talking to Hauppauge about this card and will
> have support for it in Sage TV soon.

I hope IJR or someone else representing the developers contacts
Hauppauge, stat.

> Sage already supports x264 playback with a Cyberlink or other codec,
> and the HD extender handles x264 playback fine as well, so this is a
> great fit for SageTV.

I guess this means this box's users would all have to move to 0.21 for
the x264-playback support. I imagine many people who happily play back
MPEG-2 HD video today with their MythTV boxes would have to upgrade
their hardware due to x264's greater horsepower demands. I wonder how
my 3.0GHz Pentium 4 frontend/backend (with a remote database) and
Nvidia 6200TC would do?

I'm OK with the status quo given my cable company's untrammeled
FireWire, but the news that alternatives for all are indeed coming is

Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
Slave backend:		Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6