[mythtv-users] CentOS 5.1 support

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Jan 11 17:57:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 09:01:56AM -0800, Paul Bender wrote:
> Chris Cooper wrote:
> > I've just recently in the last couple weeks set up both a BE and FE
> > systems using CentOS 5.1. I had to immediately go up to the CentOSPlus
> > kernel for the XFS module as that was the filesystem my old recordings
> > were on and what I still wanted to continue to use.  If I didn't need
> > that then I wouldn't have any pressing reason aside from being most up
> > to date as the only the modules I needed were nvidia and IVTV both of
> > which is available for the stock kernel from atrpms.

BTW ATrpms also packages up for the plus kernel at CentOS.

> The CentOS extras repository XFS module packages for the stock kernel.
> That is what I am using.

Personally I would also prefer Paul's setup - not that the CentOS plus
kernels are bad, on the contrary I know the very capable people
putting them together. But the RHEL stock kernel has far more testing
resources and is therefore a better base to start with and add kmdls
as you need them. If some unrelated subsystem breaks (e.g. not one you
replaced with a kmdl) you know that you can report it as far as RH
itself to see it fixed.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net