[mythtv-users] NFS and remote backend

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 15:40:16 UTC 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 10:25 AM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2008, at 7:10 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > this isn't much help, but I noticed the same thing. NFS transfers are
> > painfully slow and actually eat up a lot of "overhead" whereas FTP
> > uses the full bandwidth and doesn't seem to eat up "overhead".
> >
> > I first noticed this when I switched my network to 1000bT. I used to
> > transfer files between my master backend and my frontend (where my
> > long term storage array is) via NFS but was noticing that when I did
> > my recordings at that time would become choppy, the transfer speed was
> > no faster than on my 100bT network and I couldn't watch an HD show on
> > the frontend while transfering, it would just be choppy.  Then I tried
> > FTP for the heck of it and it used the full network speed, did not
> > affect recordings and allowed my frontend to play an HD show (with th
> > obvious slowdown in the file transfer) without any problems.
> >
> > So there is definitely something wrong with the base setup of NFS
> > somewhere. I couldn't figure out what, but at least I'm not the only
> > that noticed this problem.
> Not wrong, just optimized for transferring lots of little files, not
> the other way around.
> > For now I've just been using FTP until someone can tell me why this is
> > happening.
> I followed the instructions here
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Optimizing_Performance#NFS_servers
> set my options in /etc/fstab for my nfs mounts to:
> actimeo=0,intr,soft,rsize=16384,wsize=16384,nfsvers=3,tcp
> I also had to specify async mode on the server side.
> Now I don't have a problem recording a couple of HD streams while
> watching and commflagging any more.

interesting, I'll have to try this. I don't record over NFS, just
transfer files and stream to other frontends/laptops, but between the
backend and the frontend I use it to transfer recordings I want to
save, HD ones can be huge!

crosses fingers as he ssh's into his home network from work....

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -