[mythtv-users] Direct HD encoding from component....

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 05:52:26 UTC 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 11:41 PM, Chris White <chris at ballisticcats.com> wrote:

> It's coming folks:
>
> "Hauppauge Digital, Inc."..."demonstrated at CES 2008 for the first
> time their 'HD PVR', a USB personal video recorder which can record
> high definition TV video into H.264 in real time."
>
> "The connections to the set top boxes are made via component cables,
> also referred to as 'YPrPb' or the red/blue/green connectors on HD set
> top boxes."
>
> "The HD PVR will be available in Q1 2008, with a suggested retail
> price of $249."
>

> http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080110006038&newsLang=en
>
> Let me just say, yay!
>
> Now how long for a driver ;)

Wow!  That is great news.  it doesn't say what the res will be of the output
file tho.  we are assuming its the same as the source just re compressed.
coming from Hauppauge we would assume its a quality product and it does in
fact encode as we expect.  (There are other cards that compress the file to
480i/p basically SD)  Also, coming from hauppauge, who is a linux freiendly
company (they released there firmware GPL) and the excitement this brings to
the community dev work I assume would start rapidly.

Crossing fingers!

Mitchell