[mythtv-users] New user problems

kenwilliams at oddpost.com kenwilliams at oddpost.com
Fri Jan 11 04:50:50 UTC 2008

> On 10/1/2008, Steve Daniels <steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/01/2008, Ken Williams <kenwilliams at oddpost.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm new to MythTV, built my first box and am having some trouble.
> >
> > Here are my particulars...at least the ones I can think of that would
> > matter!
> > I bought a used Dell GX280 and put in a PVR-350. I only have a 200GB
 SATA
> > drive in it for now. I wanted to make sure it works before I invest
 more $$
> > for
> > a bigger drive. I loaded Mythdora 4.0, and couldn't get it to work.
 Then I
> > downloaded
> > the latest fixes, compiled it and it started working!! I haven't
 hooked it
> > up to a TV
> > yet, but it works on the monitor and to my PC using MythTV Player. If
> > everything
> > works well, I'll probably get another, smaller PC for the frontend
 and
> > figure out
> > how to get it hooked up.
> >
> > So my problems are these:
> > 1. The picture skips about once a second....almost like a heartbeat.
>
> What graphics do you have?

I am currently using the on-board graphics adapter, which is an Intel i810. On my F/E machine,
I'll get a better graphics card, but for the B/E that will never be connected to a TV, I don't want
to spend more than I have to.

> What processor do you have?

It's an Intel P4 3.2GHz machine with 1GB of memory.

> Have a look at top and tell us if the processor usage is max'd out
> whilst watching TV?

It is around .10 load average.

Tonight, I played a DVD ISO image that I ripped using MythDVD and it looks fine....no stuttering and
the sound is correct. While playing the DVD, the load average was around .80, which makes sense, because
the DVD is either higher resolution or progressive scan, isn't it?? This is looking more like the PVR-350
and/or the ivtv driver, isn't it??

> > 2. The sound is kind of funny...like people have been on helium!! I
 have the
> > output from the stb plugged into the PVR-350.
>
> Follow the link in the second post, and if that doesn't work, read the
> third post and look for that thread maybe... this might also be the
> cause of #1.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264455?search_string=helium;#264455
>

> > 3. I have DirecTV, have my account on Schedules Direct, and
 everything is
> > fine
> > there except for the local channels. I'm in the So. Cal. area and I
 can't
> > find the
> > local independents, like KCAL and KTLA. Is that something with
 Schedules
> > Direct, or is it a mapping problem I need to fix?
>
> Can't help you there...
>

> > Any help would be appreciated. If any of this is documented
 somewhere,
> > please
> > let me know where. I've searched the docs on several sites, and
 watched this
> > list
> > for a week or so now and haven't found anything that helps!! HELP!!
>
> Searching Gossamer is the goldmine of all knowledge ;-)
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/
>

> > Thanks
> > Ken
> >

> I hope some of that helps.