[mythtv-users] Can myth DVD output 7.1 audio?

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Thu Jan 10 22:36:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 05:31:39PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/10/2008 05:07 PM, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> > Back when my home theatre PC was running windows, I bought DVD player
> > software that would output 7.1 channels to my amp (8 discrete channels).
> > Although I'm very happy with Myth, I'm wondering if I've given up a nice
> > feature....
> >
> > Does Myth's DVD player decode 8 discrete channels?  I've confirmed using
> > speaker-test that my 8 channels are working, but movies like Gladiator
> > (which are in DTS 6.1) don't seem to provide anything beyond 2 channels in
> > myth.
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1104

Reading this ticket was interesting, but I don't get it.  How would such
a setup be...setup?  I can do 7.1 now if I simply pass-thru to my sound
card (at least I think I can) and my receiver can deal with it.  So what
does the work this ticket describes do?  Can someone explain it, please?

--
seth /\ sethdaniel.org