[mythtv-users] Australian TV station show times...

Steve Daniels steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 10 08:27:21 UTC 2008

On 10/01/2008, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ah. In the UK we *do* pay for the service - it's called the TV licence fee.
>
> Yes you do - though only for the BBC, not for the commercial stations.
> In Australia we don't have a licence fee so free-to-air TV is all free
> (except we pay for ABC and SBS through government funding).

So perhaps that's the opening to lobby through?

I was thinking, and I couldn't keep this thought out of my mind. It's
not that the companies are incapable of making a schedule and sticking
to it, it's that they don't want to. The reason I think, is that they
believe they will keep hold of the viewer by using these tactics.
Imagine you've been watching your favourite programme of the evening
on channel "A", and your second favourite programme is on channel "B"
just after the one on A finishes. The network that run A probably have
a the sense to see that the programme on B is quite popular and will
pull viewers from their channel, so they make their program run 5-15
minutes late. Then it isn't worth changing channels from A to B
because you've already missed the start of the programme.

Just a thought...

Steve "Procrastinating" Daniels