[mythtv-users] Another step towards what I'd predicted

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Jan 9 19:11:35 UTC 2008

> On Jan 9, 2008, at 1:37 AM, Steve Smith wrote:
>> On 08/01/2008, Dean Harding <dean.harding at dload.com.au> wrote:
>> So while they may have removed the DRM from a couple of CDs, they
>> still
>> assume their customers are all criminals.
>>

>> Regarding the watermark, I can sympathise with Sony on this one.
>> After all what I suppose most people want is the freedom to move the
>> tracks between their own devices, a "fair use". If you then put the
>> track onto a peer to peer network that's a bit unfair to Sony really
>> so for them to be able to track this, is fair I suppose. Fair has to
>> run both ways... at the moment of course Sony gets all the fair.
>
> Yeah, I don't have a big problem with this either.  It's just a way
> for them to determine where a track came from.  Saying that this means
> they're "assuming their customers are criminals" is a bit like saying
> that having to put a license plate on my car means the police are
> assuming I'm going to commit a crime with it.

...do you know any cops?

Your attempt to draw an absurd parallel actually comes out not
being that absurd actually. Cops do infact think that you will
be up to no good and want that plate there so it will be easier
on them. Same goes for every other proposal that they make that
would make it easier to track someone or spy on them.

[deletia]