[mythtv-users] Another step towards what I'd predicted

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 15:34:00 UTC 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 4:10 PM, Greg <greg12866 at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> This week i E-mailed the FCC and complained about the fact that allot of
> people are buying new TV's with the digital and Qam tuners and the cable
> operators are blocking us from using our tuners.. My Argument  is we
> change over to digital tv's and still have to rent a stb and remote..I
> have 3 tv's  so it costs $24.00  a month to do what my tv's already
> do..They E-mailed me 2 days later and asked for my home phone number so
> they could speak to me about it...Maybe if  more people would e-mail
> them and tell them their cable co.won't allow them to use their TV's
> with out an stb... Can't hurt.... Sorry to jump on your post,but i
> wanted to maybe prompt a few to do as i did....  The email address is
> MBINFO at fcc.gov

I never seem to get the same response as anyone else does from the
FCC. Their answer was inline with what they had previously told me,
see the thread below (it's top posted, sorry about that):

Essentially, any programming beyond the basic service tier.  Also, the
"digital tier" offered by cable TV operators cannot be accessed without
the use of a box.