[mythtv-users] Another step towards what I'd predicted

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
Tue Jan 8 23:01:00 UTC 2008

Tom Dexter wrote:
> Quoting the article:
>
> "The move is far from the all-digital service offered by its rivals,
> though. To obtain the Sony-BMG tracks, would-be listeners will first
> have to go to a retail store to buy a Platinum MusicPass, a card
> containing a secret code, for a suggested retail price of $12.99. Once
> they have scratched off the card's covering to expose the code, they
> will be able to download one of just 37 albums available through the
> service, including Britney Spears' "Blackout" and Barry Manilow's "The
> Greatest Songs of the Seventies.""

In addition to that, there's this:

"In place of DRM software, the music will be "anonymously watermarked"
in an attempt to help the label learn whether songs are being shared on
peer-to-peer networks."
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/business/soa/Sony-softens-stance-on-DRM/0,139023166,339284900,00.htm

So while they may have removed the DRM from a couple of CDs, they still
assume their customers are all criminals.

I guess we couldn't expect much else from Sony.

Dean.