[mythtv-users] Another step towards what I'd predicted

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 21:50:29 UTC 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 9:24 AM, Joe Borne <joe.borne at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems Sony BMG has decided to abandon DRM. EMI did the same thing about 8
> weeks ago. Several companies have withdrawn from the RIAA recently as well.
> Multiple DRM free download sites now exist legally.
>
>  http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2008/tc2008013_398775.htm

Wow...have you seen the details of Sony's idea of DRM-free music downloads???:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/07/Sony-BMG-to-sell-DRM-free-music-downloads-through-stores_1.html

Quoting the article:

"The move is far from the all-digital service offered by its rivals,
though. To obtain the Sony-BMG tracks, would-be listeners will first
have to go to a retail store to buy a Platinum MusicPass, a card
containing a secret code, for a suggested retail price of $12.99. Once
they have scratched off the card's covering to expose the code, they
will be able to download one of just 37 albums available through the
service, including Britney Spears' "Blackout" and Barry Manilow's "The
Greatest Songs of the Seventies.""

Only a company that thinks it's ok to install rootkits on your
computer from music CDs could think up something this brainless...I
swear I almost can't believe it.  If I didn't know any better, I'd
think that was some parody from theonion.com or something.  Everyone
knows that those looking for online music want to:

a) be forced to go to a store (I mean seriously...can you believe this shit)
b) be forced to buy the whole album (why didn't I just buy the CD when
I was doing part 'a' above?)
c) be charges as much or more than the physical CD
d) be restricted to a shitty selection.

It's almost funny actually.  I detest Sony anyway...and I think that
if this is the best they can do it's gonna hurt them bad.

Tom