[mythtv-users] Touchscreen "workaround" (with help of other programs)?

Nils Berg t045tbr0t at yahoo.de
Tue Jan 8 20:04:14 UTC 2008

Well, as I said before, I'd really like to be able to use a
touchscreen with MythTV.
But, since the switch of the Plugins to MythUI is not likely to
happen in the near future, I figured I might as well try and create
keyboard inputs with the touchscreen (;

This is what I came up with:

Part 1:
Use Gestikk (more info here) to map simple gestures to "up", "down",
"left", "right" (simple strokes in the respective direction), some
unique gesture to a script that pauses Gestikk's recognition, then
calls onboard, an onscreen keyboard, and resumes the gesture
recognition as soon as that is closed (e.g. text/number input is
complete). I was thinking of a circle (either way) to invoke the
keyboard.
Additionally, I'm hoping that the dev of Gestikk will honor my
request and allow a "tap" element to be integrated in gestures, which
could be mapped to return (single tap, that is), and a "hold" at the
end of a gesture to repeat the command the gesture invokes (would be
useful/needed for scrolling any sort of list that way).
Last, but not least, there would need to be gestures for both
"Record" (since that one is frequently used) and "Back" (I don't
think there's an exit button in every menu).

Part 2 (optional, may be easier to remember instead of multiple
gestures):
Use brightside to provide an escape "button" in one of the corners
and a "record" button in another. I don't know how far the "active
corners" reach into the screen (i.e. if it will be possible to hit
that spot with a touchscreen, where it's hard to reach the very edge,
unlike a mouse)

What do you think of this approach? Do you think it's feasible? This
is just what I could come up with theoretically (I don't have a
system to test any of this on atm, planning on setting one up this
weekend), so it may be totally wrong...

regards,
Nils

PS: I would like it a lot more if it was possible to kind of turn the
touchscreen into something similar to a trackpad (at least inside of
myth), that is make it generate a button press in the appropriate
direction for every, say, half-inch the user moves his finger.
Is there a program that would allow this sort of remapping?