[mythtv-users] How to ensure STB is powered ON? Re: SA3250HD is turning itself off?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Jan 8 19:43:43 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008, at 11:30 AM, Mitch Gore wrote:
> yes you could use the UPS.  i just purchased a UPS and then returned
> it.  i paid a $100 for a "70min" UPS.  come to find out it would
> only power my mythbox for 11mins.  if i added a STB on that maybe i
> would get 8mins.  If you ask me its not really worth it when my
> power only flickers in bad ice storms ~2-3 times/year but if you are
> in a country were the power worse, maybe its worth spending $200+ on
> something that will last longer.

Advertised UPS runtimes are sort of misleading, because they're
usually calculated for half load.  If you're only looking to ride out
short power flickers, though, 8 minutes should be plenty.  You can
usually set things up so the system will shut down in an orderly way
when the battery gets low, if the power stays off.