[mythtv-users] How to ensure STB is powered ON? Re: SA3250HD is turning itself off?

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 19:30:23 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 1:07 PM, Evuraan::ഏവൂരാന് <evuraan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2008 1:25 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Jan 8, 2008 11:23 AM, Daniel Arfsten <darfsten at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> thanks, the info/display thingy will be usefull to me as well.  I will
> throw a cron job in tonight.
>
> What if there was a small power disruption? My backend machine would
> boot back all the way up, I wonder what stage would the STB be? Is
> there a way one can ensure that the STB stays powered on, rather than
> finding out from recordings with blank/black display? thanks.
>
> > Just an idea you could have a cron job that runs at the top of the hour
> > send the display/info key.  This would keep it alive and would give
> minimum
> > impact on recordings. The info screen would only be in the very
> beginning or
> > end of the recording.
> >
> > You might even be able to get by with more time as it should stay on for
> > atleast 3hrs (to watch a 2hr movie on a commercial station.  If it turns
> off
> > more frequently than that complain to the provider.
> >
> > Mitchell

Im not positive but i think when you first power on a STB it goes through
the 15-20 min setup time.  then it goes to watching your first channel
available.  So then keeping it alive with info button should work.  This pry
changes with each box tho.  I used to have a SA4250HDC but have since
canceled cable as OTA is good enough and 'free'.

yes you could use the UPS.  i just purchased a UPS and then returned it.  i
paid a $100 for a "70min" UPS.  come to find out it would only power my
mythbox for 11mins.  if i added a STB on that maybe i would get 8mins.  If
you ask me its not really worth it when my power only flickers in bad ice
storms ~2-3 times/year but if you are in a country were the power worse,
maybe its worth spending $200+ on something that will last longer.

Mitchell