[mythtv-users] How to expire deleted files like LiveTV recordings?

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Tue Jan 8 15:39:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, January 8, 2008 3:26 pm, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008, at 7:23 AM, Marc Sherman wrote:
>
>> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>>
>>> Why? Are they bothering you?
>>
>> They fill up space that we could be putting videos into.
>
> If you want to reserve a certain amount of space for videos, you can
> tell myth to not use x MB of your drive.

This "Are they bothering you?" question always seems to come up whenever a
question like this gets asked, and yes, they obviously do bother people!
I like to be able to go and look to see how much free space I have for
upcoming recordings and to see that there is space, but I don't want to
stop Myth from using all of my drive..

Maybe, what is needed, rather than something to delete live-tv / "deleted
recordings" after a few days (although this would be nice ;) ), is a
better free-space-o-meter.  One that shows a breakdown of space used by
say, programs not allowed to expire, programs allowed to expire, livetv,
programs marked for deletion, etc.

Then you could look and say well I only have 150kb free on the disk, but
10Gb of that is marked for deletion, and 5Gb is livetv, so I really have
15Gb of space available for recording in.

Because while I don't mind Myth expiring things I recorded a year ago and
still haven't watched, I'd rather know when it is about to do this because
there might be some things I'd rather keep than others.

Robert.