[mythtv-users] Bitrate questions (tuning/quality/standards)

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 15:08:50 UTC 2008

On 08/01/2008, Scott Traurig <straurig at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a new mythtv user, having purchased a setup from MonolithMC. I am
> transitioning from a Pioneer DVR appliance that I loved and the teething
> pains are pretty severe. I've got 3 serious problems left to solve, not
> including verifying stability of the configuration.
>
> Environment: Comcast Moto DCT2224 STB inputting to PVR150 via NTSC
> composite, Nvidia outputting to Sony 32" NTSC CRT monitor via composite.
> Myth 0.21.
>
> Top of the list is fixing video quality. The quality of set-up is nowhere
> near that achieved with the Pioneer unit. Detail is substantially lacking
> and motion artifact is severe. I turned off de-interlacing since it has no
> meaning in my setup and this helped a little. More importantly I simply
> doubled the default live TV bit rate settings from 4.5 avg/6 peak to 9
> avg/12 peak (I left the default 720 x 480 resolution alone). This helped a
> lot but is things are still not as sharp as the Pioneer and a lot of
> motion
> artifact is still evident on scenes that have a lot of change.
>
> Don't be blaming it on the rest of the setup: I literally plugged the myth
> box in where the Pioneer used to be, same video cables and all.
>
> So...
>
> a) I don't care about disk space. What bit rate should I run?
> b) Is this bit rate a "standard"? Shouldn't it be?
> c) Or am I well and truly screwed, i.e. am I limited by the intrinsic
> quality of the available codecs, PVR and Nvidia hardware regardless of
> what
> bit rate I run?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Scott,

I'm afraid my friend you are limited by the intrinsic poor quality of the
TV-OUT available on most video cards including Nvidias.

If you only have a PVR-150 as your input you could try adding a PVR-350 card
and using the TV-OUT of that. The quality is much better, probably more what
you're used to. If you were in Europe I'd suggest using the RGB/Scart input
on your TV which will put your Panasonic to shame, but alas....

(Another option is to use a Hauppauge Media MVP if you don't mind the less
rich interface. This also has great output)

Cheers

Steve