[mythtv-users] Looking for recommendations on moving my backend to a new server

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 14:50:04 UTC 2008

> What are y'all's recommendations on how to set this up / transfer
> files / copy the database?  Should I keep the old recordings on the
> machine where they currently reside, or should I copy the files to the
> new array?
I think it will work either way.

> what sort of gerrymandering am I looking at with the
> database transfer?  Should I just back up certain tables for program,
> music, and movies info, and rebuild the rest through Mythtv-setup?

When I added a new master backend I left all the recordings on my old
master backend and just restored a complete mysql dump from the old
master to the new master. Then I went into mythtv-setup and changed
the ip addresses of the master and I was pretty much done. I did have
one problem with this setup. The database log is stuck at the point it
was when I did the transfer. For me there was no NFS share of the
recordings necessary as they will play from one backend to the other
through myth.

John