[mythtv-users] 64 Bit and memory

Erik Sejr esejr at wildroseinternet.ca
Tue Jan 8 05:18:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:36:19 -0600, "Mitch Gore" <mitchell.gore at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 2:25 PM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 13:57 -0600, Mitch Gore wrote:
>> > [myth at mythtv ~]$ free -m
>> >              total       used       free     shared    buffers
>> > cached
>> > Mem:           939        707        232          0         67
>> > 213
>> > -/+ buffers/cache:        426        513
>> > Swap:         2596          0       2596
>> >
>> > so am i ok?
>>
>> Yes, 213 MB of your free RAM is used as cache in an attempt to speed
>> things up.
>>
>> Nico

> So the bleeding packages didnt really fix anything.  When i was watching
> HDTV and a commflag was going on i see this with free -m
>
> [myth at mythtv ~]$ free -m
> Mem:           939        930          8          0          1         88
> -/+ buffers/cache:        840         98
> Swap:         2596       1069       1527
> [myth at mythtv ~]$
>
> So ram is full and a gig of swap is being used!  The system really
> drags.....  I just upgraded this box and was expecting stuff like this to
> fly when I have a 2.4ghz dual core!  Is this just how it is?
>
> Mitchell

Mitchell,
I also run the SVN on FC7, I've been having this memory leak issue for the
past month or so, you're not alone in it. So far I have been unsuccessful
at finding the cause. After about 16 hours or so it brings my (very
similar) system down, and I have to reboot. As a workaround I have been
exiting the frontend each time I use it and loading up only when I need to.
At least that way my recordings keep going. I was thinking of putting in a
bug report, but I've never done it before and I honestly don't have any
information that would help the devs track this problem down.

Erik