[mythtv-users] 64 Bit and memory

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Mon Jan 7 19:29:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 12:03 -0600, Mitch Gore wrote:
> The machine doesn't seem to be as 'snappy' as I was hoping.  I know
> 64bit uses more memory that 32bit but I figured 1 gig is enough, as a
> used to run the same be/fe on 512mb.  Do I really more than a gig to
> reach top performance of 64bit?

I'm happy with my 64-bit system with "only" 1 GB of RAM, playing 1080p
content and all.

Linux is good at using 100% of the RAM, mostly for caching (called
buffers in top and free). Are you sure this is not the situation on your

My quick test of Vista MCE certainly was unhappy in "only" 1 GB. Yeah
for Open Source!