[mythtv-users] LiveTV without the disk buffering

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 01:30:47 UTC 2008

On Jan 7, 2008 2:21 PM, Brian Foddy <bfoddy at visi.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 06 January 2008, Mike Heffner wrote:
> > Is there a way to configure LiveTV so that it does not have to disk
> > buffer the stream?

You can edit the menus to replace the live TV button with mplayer. Check the
archives, it's been discussed before.

> I have an HD card and my disk is unable to support
> > buffering the stream at the HD rate (it jumps/skips) but I'd like to be
> > able to watch HD channels without the ability to time-shift/etc.
>
> But for HD, you need to figure 6-7 GB per hour.

7GB per hour is only 2MB per second. If your disk can handle writing and
reading simultaneously at that speed there is something wrong. Disk should
not be a bottleneck for a single tuner MythTV system, even with HD.

Cheers,
Steve