[mythtv-users] 1080p x264 playback Chip Speed

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 21:21:26 UTC 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 1:02 PM, Ben Curtis <mythtv at nosolutions.com> wrote:
> > Odds are, to playback a true BluRay or HD-DVD movie you will need a Core
> > 2 Duo 6300 or AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+.
> >
> > I have a X2 6400 and it works great, even over 1GB Ethernet.
> >

> Thanks for the Wiki link, hadn't found that.
>

> > I have the same motherboard with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
> > Plays h.264 1080p files in mplayer using around 25%-30% on both cores.
> >

> This is great news.  Do you use the onboard video?  I ask because the Wiki
> states: "User:Steveadeff - I've managed to playback 1080p rips on my
> overclocked Athlon64 X2 4400+ in mplayer"  Curious as to why he had to
> overclock his 4400+, though he may not have "had" to.

Cause I can =)  1080p rips take about 80% average CPU on my 4400+
o/c'd to 2.75Ghz. Not fast enough to play an original source, but
enough for what I need. I could prbly push it even higher if I needed
to.

> Unfortunately the X2 6400+ is a bit out of my price range at $140.  If it
> will play x264, I will probably go with the X2 4200+.  However, what's the
> difference between the Windsor and Brisbane?  Seems the Brisbane is
> slightly more expensive.  For video playback, will it make a difference?

there will be a slight difference in speed. the brisbane is newer, is
65nm vs 90nm so it will produce slightly less heat. for video playback
there won't be a significant difference. Though if you plan on O/C'ing
one may be better than the other.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!