[mythtv-users] How do master and slave backends divide up work?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri Jan 4 19:46:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 12:04 -0500, David George wrote:

> drbd is network RAID 1.  You will need to have mysql on its own
> filesystem.  By doing this you will only have one mysql server active at
> a time, but you can use heartbeat to move the mysql server to the active
> machine.

We do this at work for several different applications, including one
large MySQL database that at least temporarily holds copies of every
mail message sent through our central relay server. It works well, but
it's a fair amount of work and learning curve to set this up. It may be
overkill for an at-home Myth setup. It will also require both systems to
have separate storage for recordings, and of course if one machine goes
down you would not have access to the recordings stored there even if
the database is still up on the other machine via DRBD/heartbeat. So
consider carefully whether this is worth it before you go this route.

--Greg