[mythtv-users] Analog HD capture with realtime hardware compression

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Fri Jan 4 18:32:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 10:05 -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008, at 9:57 AM, ryan patterson wrote:
>
> > On Jan 4, 2008 12:48 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >         On Jan 4, 2008, at 9:35 AM, ryan patterson wrote:
> >
> >         > Here is an announcement people might find interesting.
> >         > Apparently the next slingbox device (so called "Slingbox
> >         > PRO HD") will capture 1080i video through its analog
> >         > component inputs and compress it with a realtime hardware
> >         > solution.  Check it out. . .
> >         >
> >         > http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/sling-medias-slingbox-pro-hd-slingplayer-for-blackberry-announ/
> >         >
> >         > Attention:  Before you reply and tell me, "You are stupid.
> >         > The slingbox PRO down grades the HD signal into a lower
> >         > resolution. . .", read the article.  That was the
> >         > "slingbox PRO" the is the this is the "slingbox PRO HD".
> >         >
> >         > Even if there is no way to use this with MythTV it is
> >         > still really good news.  It shows that a cheap hardware
> >         > solution for capturing and compressing an HD analog signal
> >         > is soon to hit the market.  How long until some company
> >         > (Hauppauge, Aver, Asus, Gigabyte, etc.) makes a cheap
> >         > PCI-E card that does this for us?  Personally I would love
> >         > silicon dust to make a HDhomerun type device that uses
> >         > this setup.  (hint, hint)
> >

> >         One has to wonder what the point is of taking in 1080i and
> >         outputting 1080i again. Especially at a $400 price point.
> >         Taking in 1080i and compressing to an internet-friendly
> >         stream like my Solo does makes sense to me.
> >
> > Gee I don't know.  Maybe one would like to record from an HD cable
> > or satellite box then watch the recording on their HDTV later.  Wait
> > wait no, people would never want to do that.  A personal video
> > recorder device like that would never be viable.
> >

> I meant what does SLING hope their customers will do with this
> ability? Their whole business model is built on the ability to take
> high-res video and compress it to stream to lower-bandwidth devices.

I know a few people who use a sling box to stream video around their
homes rather than paying extra subscriptions to their satellite
providers for a multiroom setup.  I guess it would make sense for them
if they wanted to stream HD content around the home.

Personally, I'd rather have MythTV do that for me, but I guess Sling
would be "simpler" for the average consumer.

Robert.