[mythtv-users] How do master and slave backends divide up work?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Jan 4 16:56:32 UTC 2008

On Jan 4, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> ...you should probably make your frontend machine also your master
> backend, then the slave backend will only turn on when it needs to
> record something.

That's how mine is set up.  The slave is also a secondary frontend, so
I also power it up manually when I want to watch something on it.  The
master runs all the time.

If you set up your tuners so the master backend's is preferred, the
master will *always* be up when the slave needs to record something,
anyway -- the slave will only be needed for recording if the master is
already busy recording something else.