[mythtv-users] Converting master backend to slave backend

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Jan 4 12:40:41 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008, at 3:24 PM, Mudit Wahal wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been running myth for over 2+ years. Now I've added another PC
>> and installed mythtv on it. I want to make this new PC as the master
>> backend and the older PC as slave backend.
>>
>> The (would be) slave backend has lots of data about recorded shows
>> etc for over 2+ years. I think its valuable enough so that I don't
>> accidentally rerecord programs. It has two HDTV tuner cards
>> installed. In the new master backend, I'm planning to another PVR250
>> capture card to connect to dish receiver. The master backend will be
>> running 24x7.
>>
>> I read in the faq and there is a section to migrate myth database
>> from one PC to another PC. Can I do same thing in my case and
>> migrate my older master backend database to the new backend and
>> configure the master's IP address in the slave backend.
>>
>> What other gotchas I need to watch for ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Mudit
>
> Yeah. It's easier than you think. Just mysqldump the mysql database,
> shut down that database (so you know you're connected to the right
> one),  start up the other one, import the database, point your backend
> to it then point your old master backend (new slave) to the new master
> backend ip and you should be good to go.

...then make sure you stop mysql from running in the new slave, otherwise, it
will start up again next time you boot, find the original database, and...

Don't go there. There's a number of files in different places on the old machine
you may need to edit to point to the new master. So *ensure* that mysql does not
run on the old machine before you find them all.

- also, if you ran mythfilldatabase via cron, like some distros do, you will
need to disable that as well on the slave machine.

Mike Perkins