[mythtv-users] Frame rate problem when watching live TV

Robin Neatherway robthebob at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 11:17:19 UTC 2008

> I have installed MythBuntu, i.e. Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 with a pre-installed
> stable MythTV version. I am using fglrx 8.42.3.
>
> Now I have the problem that the frame rate is low when watching live TV. I
> can watch recordings however at full frame frame rate. It makes no
> difference if it is an HD or SD channel.
>
> I am aware that my driver does not support XV, which can cause slowdowns.
> For this reason, I have tried the following to no avail:

What is your basis for this statement? Fglrx definitely does support
xv as far as I am aware. Does it not support your graphics chip
properly?

> I have the following questions:
> - Given the fact that it is possible for me to view recordings or DVD's with
> no frame rate problems, is the lack of XV support from any currently
> available drivers still a likely cause?

Possible.

> - Since Myth always records live TV, could the problem be caused by a
> possible problem in the Linux support for SATA?

Try an hdparm -t /dev/whatever and check the value is sensible. It
should be at least 30MB/sec.
Have you tried scheduling a recording and then watching the recording
while it is in progress? This should be exactly the same as watching
LiveTV.

> - Can the above possibility be checked by turning off the recordinfg when
> watching live TV?

No, try another program such as tvtime, mplayer, vlc etc to view the
stream directly.

> - Is mythtv-vid still a branch? Has there ever been a stable version? I have
> read somewhere in this list that part of the code has been merged to the
> trunk. Would it make sense to try an SVN version of MythTV (trunk)?

I think it has mostly been merged. I think your problems are more to
do with the configuration of your system than MythTV.

--
Robin