[mythtv-users] Cool n Quiet + mythcommflag

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Fri Jan 4 03:19:44 UTC 2008

On Thursday 03 January 2008, John Drescher wrote:
> > I also thought the governors generally do only fair to poor in
> > detecting a single heavy process on a dual core machine.  Because
> > it keeps bouncing around, no single core stays busy enough to
> > trip the busy threshold.  Get 2 busy processes, and it speeds up
> > immediately.  This experience on a X2-3800 on the conservative
> > governor.
>
> That is why I use ondemand and set my up_threshold to the lowest value
> which is 15%. It works pretty well on dual processor and also on dual
> core. Although dual processor you set one for each processor.

Next time I'm fiddling around on that box I can try this.  Its my parents
machine and I don't get that much hands-on time on it.  TBH, since its
a frontend-only, it does most everything running at 50% speed without
problems, even HD.  I remember trying to adjust the thresholds, and found
a lot of "slop" in the settings, meaning changing a value to where you
would think it would trip and it still wouldn't...  I don't remember
using ondemand very much, maybe that is better....

Thanks,
Brian