[mythtv-users] Software Update always results in X not starting

Russell Brown lists at loebbrown.net
Fri Jan 4 00:40:17 UTC 2008

Fedora core 6 is no longer available
and I do not know of an easy way to
obtain packages for it. You might check
/var/yum/cache/*/packages to see if the old packages
are still there. You may then try to reinstall
a working kernel/kmdl pair
with rpm -Uvh package name.
If you remove a package, you might
try
rpm -e --repackage
to see if you can save pieces that you remove.
I am not optimistic that this will work.

The recommended solution is to update to fedora 7 or 8.
I have successfully updated two systems from
6 to 8. But I imagine the path from 6 to 7 is smoother.
To update, download an installation dvd from
fedoraproject.org or if you are adventurous
try a yum upgrade, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

Russell Brown