[mythtv-users] Frame by frame playback - 3 good, 2 "ghosty"

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Jan 2 20:31:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 12:23:06PM -0800, Dale Quigg wrote:
> I thought I saw my question in the forum archives, but I couldn't find
> it again.  I've noticed that when going "frame by frame" in a show,
> that there seems to be a repeated pattern of 3 "good" frames" and 2
> "ghosty" frames (especially if there is horizontal movement).   This
> happens whether I use "Default" or "Highest" recording quality.  I've
> also tried various settings for deinterlacing, but I've not seen any
> change in the output.

Yup, it's interlace you're seeing.  3:2 pulldown from 24fps source
interlace, to be specific.  For comparison, record a local news
broadcast (preferably one that has *not* gone hi-def yet), and frame
through that.

Deinterlacing *can* help, though I don't know precisely which mode will
work best for you...

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Witty slogan redacted until AMPTP stop screwing WGA