[mythtv-users] Should I be transcoding? UK DVB-T

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 18:21:28 UTC 2008

On 02/01/2008, Steve Daniels <steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com> wrote:
> HI all,
>
> I've done a bit of reading here, there, and everywhere trying to
> figure out if I should be transcoding or not. My sources are a number
> of Nova-T's receiving Freeview in a modest backend. And the primary
> frontend is an Epia M10K.
>
> Should I be transcoding?

Depends...

> To reduce file size?

For recording that you just want to watch, unless you want to play the
file back on a piece of hardware which requires a specific codec, this
is really the only reason. You may want to transcode particular
recordings if you want to archive them to DVD.

> To make playback easier on the Epia?

Transcoding from 720x576 MPEG2 to MPEG4 may increase the processor
burden, not reduce it. If you've got IDCT/XvMC support in your video
driver and a lower power CPU you should keep things in MPEG2.

> To remove those pesky blips and glitches when it's really windy/sporadic signal?

How often to you get these dropouts? You'll still see picture
break-ups unless those frames are removed, which can happen either
manually or during the xcode process.

> Is it time to experiment with commercial detection? (Something which
> would probably end up with me getting obsessive about it and
> relearning c++..)

I'm using a jump of 4 minutes on most channels to skip adverts, after
a lack of success with commdetection in previous years. Not looked
into it recently.

> P.S. Looking forward to this week..
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/305993#305993
>
> "The only big commit coming is for multirec/inputgroups,
> but it looks like that's not going to happen until the first week
> of January." -- Daniel K

Just waiting for SVN to stabilise before it's committed.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/