[mythtv-users] Probable bug: Category search list

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Jan 2 16:56:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 01:33:12PM -0800, Bruce Markey wrote:
> David Engel wrote:
> > That being said, I think a patch to add a genre search would probably
> > be acceptable.  IMHO, I'd like to see it replace the existing category
> > search.  That would be more involved and probably require changing
> > mythfilldatabase to populate the genres table for non-DataDirect based
> > grabbers.
>
> I hadn't considered that but I supposed XMLTV grabs could stuff
> the one category string into chanid, starttime with relevance=0.
> However, I'd always assumed that anything relying on genre would
> check to see if the programgenres was empty and have a different
> code path. Populating the genre table needlessly sounds ugly but
> it might simplify the code needed for proglist.

I didn't feel like digging into grabbers so I used the alternate code
path approach in the attached patch.  My first attempt used one code
path for the main query.  The OR for category or genre match made it
noticbly slower so I dropped it and went with separate queries for
when genres were and weren't present.

> > This patch wasn't added because the large number of genre combinations
> > makes navigating through the views unmanageable.  The solution is to
> > change the view navigation and popup to explicitly suuport two-levels.
> > That hasn't been done yet.
>
> I've been using this patch for the past year or two or whenever
> it was that this came up. It can take a long time to load too but I
> I agree that the long popup list makes finding Western or Wrestling
> difficult. I've taken a couple stabs at a popup with two lists
> side by side. Getting the sub-genre list to update when scrolling
> the first list and displaying the result for the selection are no
> problem. I was stumped in the Qt goo to get the two lists side by
> side on the popup, stretching to fit and navigation keys behaving
> reasonably.

You've done more than I have.  All I've done is think about it
occasionally.  The two list approach is where we left it.  Lately,
I've been considering an easier [to code] solution.  That is to keep
the single list and add keybindings to make navigating the list box
easier.  For example, Left and Right would move to the previous and
next major grouping, respectively.  0 through 9 would move to that
percentage times 10 in the list.

> The other issue that I touched on above is; what would this look
> like for XMLTV? Even if the genre table was stuffed with the one
> category, there would be no pairs and the right column would always
> be blank and useless. This is why I'd always assumed there would
> need to be two code path for grabbers with and without genre.

At this point, I'd probably keep the existing (or patched as attached)
category search.  The multiple genre search would be a separate menu
entry.  Users of xmltv grabbers would quickly learn (or a popup could
tell them :) that that functionality was not available to them.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net