[mythtv-users] Converting "mythtranscoded" files to avi...

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 15:05:42 UTC 2008

A question for the transcoding gurus out there.

I currently use the inbuilt Myth transcoding options to transcode many of my
shows.
It's set to transcode to:
    MPEG4
    2400kbps
    MP3 audio with 32K sample rate.

This seems to produce NUV files (and good results played back on MythFE or
VLC player on Windows).

For Xmas I got a Yamada DVD player that can play back DIVX, XVID, MP4 etc.

Unfortunately it won't play the NUV files even if I rename them to AVI.

I've tried getting ffmpeg to rewrite them to an AVI container using:
      ffmpeg -i FILE.nuv -f avi -vcodec copy -acodec copy OUT.avi

However, what I get then is a file where the video plays at roughly twice
the speed of the audio!

So my questions are:
     1) HOW do I convert the NUV files to a playable AVI (as in playable on
a "standards" based divx/mp4 player)?
     2) Can I do this WITHOUT further transcoding?
     3) Can I get Myth to do the transcoding correctly in the first place?
(I'd accept having to rename the file, re-transcoding seems a bit
pointless).

Cheers

Steve