[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Dothan Centrino M unbelievably slow?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 18:52:28 UTC 2008

On Jan 1, 2008 1:37 PM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31/12/2007, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hopefully it's fast enough to watch DVD's and standard definition
> > recordings then it won't be a bad holdover until I can budget in a Mac
> > Mini or something.
>
> Have you got Xv support working properly on the laptop? A P3-1000 is
> usually more than enough to playback standard definition video and
> DVDs, so something must be misconfigured.
>
> # cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> and
>
> # xvinfo
>
> will reveal a lot of useful info which may help to debug what's wrong.

Hey Nick, thanks for the reply.

I was actually playing with this laptop just now. Yesterday evening I
got everything working, including getting it connected via WiFi to the
house network. This morning I started the laptop up without the
ethernet connection and it's been running quite fast since. I don't
know if that was what caused it to be slow or something else, but it
can now play SD fine and even almost play HDTV (though it may be that
the WiFi isn't fast enough).

Now I just need to get an USB MCE remote for this thing (and see if I
can safely detach the LCD screen (it's broken).

--
Steve