[mythtv-users] My First MythTV Box

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Jan 1 02:47:06 UTC 2008

On Dec 31, 2007, at 4:22 PM, match at ece.utah.edu wrote:

> OK, Brad and Mike, I understand full well where you're coming from,
> and I used to think this way too... back when. Many years ago I
> subscribed to this very logic, but not anymore, and I've done it
> both ways. Modern SATA 300 drives are faster, cheaper and more
> reliable than drives were back then, so I just no longer see the need.
>
> Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've never lost a system disk in
> any of my Mythboxen, and I've never encountered I/O throughput
> problems by having the Mysql database on the same drive that I store
> recordings on. These have just never been issues for me over these
> last 4 or 5 or so years that I've been running MythTV.

Let me know how that holds up when your system grows to something like
mine which handles recording 3 HD streams, 2 SD streams, playback of
one HD stream, commflagging and transcoding all at the same time. My
60GB system disk is just fine for all that. I doubt I could do all
that video plus run mysql on the same disk. Planning ahead can save
yourself a whole lot of problems in the future.