[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR

David George david at thegeorges.us
Fri Feb 29 19:52:57 UTC 2008

On 02/27/2008 03:15 PM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> On Feb 27, 2008, at 12:55 PM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
>>

>>> No.  Though I am hoping this will be the  "Holy Grail" of HD capture.
>>>

>> I think all of us hope that.
>>
>> I wouldn't be surprised if they get "political" pressure though.
>>

> I agree.  Someone should put out such a device eventually though.  Any
> other contenders anyone knows of?

We have prototypes built for an HD component capture device.  It uses
MJPEG2000 instead of MPEG4 or H.264 AVC.  The differences with our
product is that it will be ethernet attached and initially support Linux
only.  So far comparisons of MJPEG2000 and MPEG4 are very favorable with
file size vs. quality.  We are still a little ways away on the software
side.  Linux driver will be started soon.  Also, we are planning on
using a Matroska container for the video and audio.  All code will be
open source (GPL).

> Think Hauppauge will defer and not produce?

I don't remember ever hearing a product announcement coming from them
for something that was never released, so they'll probably release it.
But that is just a guess.

--
David