[mythtv-users] What's the best HD frontend only hardware?

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Fri Feb 29 01:10:14 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 13:57 +1300, Wade Maxfield wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Feb 28, 2008, at 5:33 PM, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> >
> >> I'm looking to convert my FE+BE system to a BE only since it cannot
> >> handle HD playback in a satisfactory manner.  In doing so I will be
> >> building a dedicated FE from scratch.  If you had this opportunity
> >> with today's hardware, what would you choose?
> >>
> >> Here is how I'm leaning:
> >> 1. Must be able to handle (USA) OTA HD, aka: MPEG2 TS
> >> 2. Must have DVI or HDMI video output.  (optionally via a ADD2
> card)
> >> 3. I would prefer it to be able to handle H.264 is in
> >>
> http://images.apple.com/movies/us/hd_gallery/gl1800/1080p/bbc-blue_m1080p.mov
> >> 4. I would prefer onboard Intel video in gratitude for there
> >> contributions to Xorg and OSS.
> >> 5. I would prefer a low power consumption system.
> >> 6. I would prefer a Micro-ITX or other SBC
> >> 7. I would prefer to use a CF instead of an HDD.
> >

> > Other than # 4 a Mac  Mini would come close, though I agree with
> your
> > sentiment about Intel's video.
>
> Mac Mini's have onboard Intel video.  The current C2D mini's use a
> GMA950 processor...

Keep in mind that the Intel driver still does not do any hw accelerated
stuff for video. There is a branch for MPEG2, but still nothing for
H.264.

It is coming, though, chips specs are out (I'm not sure about GMA950,
but they are for 965G/X3100).

Moreover, find the video of the talk from Keith Packard (deeply involved
X guy working at Intel) at the FOSDEM that just finished. Very good
stuff is coming.

Nico