[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD PVR (A bit more info for those starved for it)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 28 22:56:12 UTC 2008

On Feb 28, 2008, at 3:43 PM, Bob Sully wrote:

> I am very happy to hear that devs in the Linux community have access
> this piece of hardware.  I am definitely looking forward to buying
> two of
> them - one to keep as a backup for the time after the content Nazis
> find a
> way to bully the government into making them illegal (said only
> somewhat
> tongue-in-cheek).  Not only that, I feel that Hauppauge will a
> boatload of
> these in the first wave...I bought some stock in the company.  ;-)

I think you are over-estimating the awareness of the typical consumer.
Myth users pretty much all recognize the value of the device, but I
suspect the average consumer will not perceive the difference between
it and all the other pretty boxes on the shelf next to it at
Circuitous City. They will notice that it costs more than a lot of the
others, which seem to them to do the same thing.

So the question is how do the numbers of "aware" MythTV users vs. the
number of typical consumers.

I'd really like to know how many PVRs that Hauppauge sold went into
Myth systems as opposed to Windows boxes.

BTW - I'm concerned that the content Nazis will have their way before
the device is released. I suspect some restrictions on the device at
the least.

beww

beww