[mythtv-users] Why do they put VGA on Mother Boards anymore?

Richard Bronosky BrunosJunk at Bronosky.com
Thu Feb 28 19:56:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> >  But the fact remains that putting a
>  >  VGA port on a mobo does not increase your market, it limits it.
>
>  Interesting that facts are no longer based on reality. :-)

Where is that statement coming from?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi
Facts & Realities:
1. The most common form of DVI is DVI-I
2. VGA can be extracted from DVI-I with an adapter, not converter needed
3. Consumers seeking digital video out cannot achieve it with VGA
4. Consumers seeking analog video out can achieve it with DVI-I

>  I am a very tech savvy user, and I have to admit that this is the
>  first I've heard of DVI carrying an analog signal. I honestly can't
>  image a whole ton of people know about that. And by the way...I have a
>  10+ year old CRT hooked up to my core 2 duo. It works great and the
>  quality is excellent, so I just can't find a whole lot of incentive to
>  upgrade.

No one is asking you to upgrade.  If you used a DVI to VGA adapter, it
would look just as excellent.  The whole point is that if you, with a
10+ year old CRT, are shopping for a mobo, the DVI mobo is great for
you.  It supports your current CRT and is future proof.  But, the VGA
mobos are not good for people with modern displays and televisions.

>  > My experience is that NewEgg seems to cater to gamers, folks who think
>  > they know all about computers but actually just know a little bit
>  > about Windows.
>  >
>  > Their customers certainly don't know where to find good prices, I
>  > rarely see anything newegg is selling that can't be had more cheaply
>  > elsewhere.
>
>  I actually find the reverse. I rarely find things more than a couple
>  of dollars cheaper somewhere else. For a few dollars per component, I
>  find it easier to just go with newegg on most of my purchases. They
>  are a known element, very reliable, great service, offer free shipping
>  on a lot of things, and have a great return policy. It's also nice to
>  get all the components at once rather than waiting around eating your
>  return policy at one place while the shipment from somewhere else is
>  delayed.

Great point.

And great work here http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/

I really appreciate your contributions.