[mythtv-users] Why do they put VGA on Mother Boards anymore?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Thu Feb 28 16:13:26 UTC 2008

Richard Bronosky wrote:
> Am I missing something here?  It seems to me that any mobo with "DVI"
> is actually DVI-I, meaning that it has both analog and digital.  This
> allows the use of a DVI->VGA cable.  So, I'm forced to wonder, why are
> hardware manufacturers in the year 2008 throwing away the digital
> signal and only providing access to the post D/A processed outcome?
> You can't [easily] buy a display that is analog only.  So, why is it
> so hard to by a mobo that is NOT analog only?
>
> I'm looking for an Intel G965 chipset mobo for a dedicated [digital
> A/V only] HD frontend system.  (based on
> http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200802-green.ars/2 from Ars
> Technica)  But I can't find anything that is not VGA only!
>
> This is crazy!

The same question can be asked with regards to the serial, parallel, and
ps/2 ports.

Unfortunately, the manufacturers all aim for the lowest common
denominator, and, thus, attempt to support everything and anything that
is legacy.  While you cannot easily buy an analog only display, there
still are analog-only displays out there.  They don't want to
potentially alienate a market segment (those with older monitors but
looking to upgrade anyhow, or those older KVM switches for the small
office environments, etc) which would mean less potential revenue from
sales.

I agree, though.. it doesn't provide much benefit to the modern consumer.

-Rich