[mythtv-users] Change channel on Kreatel decoder

Fredrik Hallgarde mythtv at tedde.nu
Thu Feb 28 15:50:33 UTC 2008

F P skrev:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:03 AM, F P <zagor.fp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>  Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:57:13 +0100
>>>
>>  >  From: Fredrik Hallgarde <mythtv at tedde.nu>
>>  >  Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Change channel on Kreatel decoder
>>  >  To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>>  >

>>>  I suspect that the PVR150 receiver can only accept the PVR150 remote (I
>>>
>>  >  think I recall something about only accepting RC-5) and that you need
>>  >  some other way to record the codes from the kreatel remote.
>>  >  Are you able to use/buy/borrow/build another receiver, i.e. an MCE
>>  >  usb-receiver or a serial one to check whether you get any info?
>>  >
>>  >  I suggest you try it out on a different machine if you are able to as
>>  >  that will keep your mythbox stable, if not, make sure you backup
>>  >  modprobe.conf (or equivalent) and lirc.conf.
>>  >
>>  >  Fredrik
>>
>>  Hi Fredrik,
>>
>>  I've contacted the guy managing the lirc project, Christoph.
>>  He gave me your same answer: PVR-150 can only handle RC5 remotes.
>>  Evidently, my remote is not RC5. How do I know which type it is?
>>  I don't know anybody else running a HTPC, so I can't borrow anything,
>>  but I still can buy a new receiver/transmitter if chances are that I
>>  can let it work.
>>  I need a receiver/transmitter, so I can avoid using the PVR-150 transmitter.
>>  What will you suggest? should I buy a MCE usb-receiver (does it have a
>>  transmitter too?) or should I look for a serial? What would be best
>>  and easier to setup?
>>
>>  Thanks again
>>  Francesco
>>

> Always forgetting to edit subject, sorry!

The MCE receivers do have transmitter capability and are easy to set up.
However, if your remote works at 56KHz (as my VIP1510 does) you might
have issues getting good values...
A homebrew serial receiver (with a 56KHz IR-module) would theoretically
be better suited but is much more of a hassle to set up (I havent gotten
around to actually build one...).

My suggestion is to buy an MCE remote...

Fredrik