[mythtv-users] Facing the music -- running PowerDVD via Wine

Richard Bronosky BrunosJunk at Bronosky.com
Thu Feb 28 15:22:17 UTC 2008

So you're telling me there's a chance. ;-)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0109686/quotes#qt0191749

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Larry Sanderson
<larry.sanderson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 28 February 2008 02:52:17 am Bill Williamson wrote:
>  > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net>
>  wrote:
>  > > I think it is going to be a while before it is possible to view
>  > >  BluRay movies under Linux.  Even then, I think it would
>  > >  require a MONDO fast CPU because Linux still will not
>  > >  have anything like Nvidia's PureVideo to speed up decoding.
>  > >  So, the best alternative I can think of would be to run
>  > >  the Cyberlink PowerDVD software via Wine.
>  > >
>  > >  Looking at the WineHQ site, I don't know what works and
>  > >  what doesn't as far as running PowerDVD via Wine right
>  > >  now, though.  It likely needs some work.  What I am
>  > >  really wondering about is the likelihood of getting
>  > >  PowerDVD's PureVideo support to work under Wine.
>  > >  I don't know if that feature is built-into the program, or
>  > >  works by way of some sort of driver.
>  >
>  > PureVideo is a feature of the driver, not just the program playing
>  > the dvd, so there is a 0% chance of it working.
>
>  I wouldn't be so quick to lay claim to that 0% figure.  The ndiswrapper
>  drivers were all about getting Windows drivers (in this case, primarily
>  wireless LAN drivers) to work via wine, and those were pretty stable.
>
>  Sure, this would be a ton of work, but I've seen some amazing things out
>  of motivated OSS programmers.
>
>  I'd say it's more like a 4% chance :-)

.!# RichardBronosky #!.