[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct and time offset

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 14:41:00 UTC 2008

[snip]
>  It actually sounds more like an operating system problem. You should
>  check what time system is being used. Under Fedora, you have a choice to
>  have the system use UTC time, while reporting after adjusting for the
>  time zone offset: files are recorded UTC but the clock shows EST for
>  example.
>
>  This setup can  be confusing for myth purposes...your files are all
>  timed at 3 AM to next morning for tonights 10 pm show!
>
>  Using UTC is fine for desktops and laptops, especically if you must sync
>  your files, but its not so good for myth.
>
>  Set the system to use your time zone's time and let myth make the
>  adjustment in the xmltv listing data (rather than 2 adjustments).
>
>  Geoff

I changed the system clock to the actual time instead of UTC and now
the guide in Mythweb is correct (the current time it displays and the
guide data). This also shifted the guide in mythfrontend by -6 hours
but since it was off by +12 it's still off by +6.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem with my Fedora 8
installation or my MythTV installation since many people on this list
use F8/MythTV/SechedulesDirect and I appear to be the only person
having this serious of a problem with it.

A question for any time zone experts out there. I live in the Central
time zone and on my Desktop I have always picked Chicago during
installation since the city I live near is not listed. On the Myth box
I tried the GMT-6 option instead. This should have the same effect
(except for DST but that's only 1 hour) but does Myth look at this
differently when trying to figure out the time offset?

Like I've mentioned before, the 'date' command always showed the
correct time and date and the guide in MythTV has always shown the
current time correctly but the guide data has just been off.

Richard