[mythtv-users] Question about SATA/IDE controller cards...

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Thu Feb 28 02:45:49 UTC 2008

This might be an issue I'll need to resolve by experimentation, but I
thought I'd see if someone else had already figured this out before I invest
any time.

I have an older machine.  I bought a large SATA drive with a PCI controller
to add the drive to my system.  The PCI card has an ATA133 slot on it as
well.  I was going to put system drive on the motherboards primary IDE, the
optical drive on the secondary IDE, and the SATA storage drive on the PCI
card.

I got to thinking about the route this data will take.  I was wondering if I
could get better performance if I put the optical drive on the IDE
controller on the PCI card.  If the IDE controller and the SATA controller
were on the same card and the read and write took place on the PCI card, it
would be a noticeably better than putting the optical drive on one of the
IDE channels of the motherboard.

What is the consensus, am I crazy?  Will the datapath stay on (or close to)
the PCI card, or will it make no difference which IDE port I use
(motherboard/PCI card) for my optical drive?