[mythtv-users] Issues recording

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Feb 27 23:04:55 UTC 2008

Roger Heflin wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:

> I though it was supposed to be able to work that way ie with NTSC on analog,
> and ATSC on DVB.   Just you aren't going to be able to record on both at the
> same time.
>
> I would suggest trying to setup two different listing so that the correct
> channels are in the correct place, I seem to remember before I did mine that
> way it would attempt to tune analog's on the digital card, and digital channels
> on the analog card and did not work very well.
>
> I know a number of people use 2 lineups for exactly this reason.

You need at least 2 and possibly 3 lineups.
You need a lineup for analog cable  -> /dev/video  channels 2-99
You need a lineup for unencrypted digital channels...you refer to these
as OTA but I think you are getting these on the cable, they just
represent the channels you could get OTA and which Comcast must provide.

Finally, you probably need a lineup for the encrypted channels which you
get through the STB and firewire (if you do that).

You can test the first 2 lineups against a digital TV by noting the
tuner setup it requires. Of course, the analog lineup will play on an
analog TV.

And remember that although you *can* set up a PChd5000 to do both
digital and analog, it can only do one of those at a time, so scheduling
can be difficult. You have to provide quite different priority levels to
make that work and it may not be worth the problem.

Geoff

              R. Geoffrey Newbury

           newbury at mandamus.org

        Helping with the HTTP issue