No subject

Mon Feb 25 20:53:42 UTC 2008

---MythTV isn't (yet) for everyone. While it's likely that at some point
you'll be able to treat it as an appliance, requiring no special care or
maintenance, that day hasn't entirely arrived yet. There are companies
selling pre-configured MythTV boxes and those units likely are stable enough
to toss on the living room shelf and hand the remote to your kids. But if
you're building one yourself (or having someone build one for you), then the
process may be more complicated - this is the price you pay for power and
flexibility.

Currently myth is not an appliance. Ok, so we should be aiming to make it
more user friendly, but currently this rant is causing a lot of discussion
without much answer. Having the setup and the frontend programs seperate for
the moment allows the developers to develop more easily. My understanding of
the way that the systems have been programmed, it should be relatively easy
at a later stage for some poor Dev to merge the two programs. However, I am
sure that someone in this thread has already said that the config screens in
mythfrontend are already too complex. Some streamlining needs to be done,
features hidden from the normal user. No, wait, that is the Microsoft way of
thinking, hiding complexity so that what should be simple tasks require
access to the command prompt to complete. I do find the setup screens in
mythfrontend a tad confusing myself, but I don't think I have gone into them
more than 6 times in the last 2 years for the 4 frontends and 1 backend that
I am running.
When I look at the appliance boxes that I have used in the past,,, my
set-top-box, didn't allow any configuration, I could search for channels
that was it. My DVD player, I can select the aspect ratio that is all, apart
from a 48 button remote control that is too blooming difficult to use (10
digit keypad, 3D setting that no DVD I have seen supports etc.etc.).
Switches I have used in the past that are based on linux, basically
appliances, they have one interface for 'Managers' and another backdoor that
gives you a root console to actually configure the darn things. Apart from
the setup to mysql, I don't think I needed to really run any command line
tools to set up myth, considering its complexity I think that is brilliant,
well done.

What I find confusing, is that mytharchive settings are not where I would
expect them. Perhaps,,,, maybe what should be done, IF a complete re-write
is done, and this would break all of the themes I am sure, maybe on the
front screen to myth, we should be able to press a menu button, then from
this menu, select 'expert' or 'configuration' mode. This could optionally be
pin coded for the paranoid like me. When I view the main screen now there
will be a new setup option, allowing me to configure how things look
(appearance)
When I go into 'Watch TV' there would be an extra setup option that allows
me to configure tuners. When I enter 'Media Library' I would have a setup
option which allows me to specify things like storage, and auto-expire
settings. When I go to archive files, there will be an extra setup option
allowing me to specify commands for archiving, and where the temporary files
are stored.

Gareth