[mythtv-users] A different perspective on the "user experience issue"

Gareth Glaccum gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Wed Feb 27 17:41:34 UTC 2008

If I want to change a setting on the backend I have in the loft, I use a
front-end (or even my desktop), and ssh to it. No need for a remote XDM
session or anything like that, if I am feeling frivolous, I suppose I could
use VNC. X forwarding is set up by default on most major distributions
(Redhat, Suse, Fedora and many others), not geeky at all.
If you want to reboot a machine, do you go to it and press the button, I
just log into it and use reboot/shutdown? Changing tuner setups in my
opinion is a hardware function in much the same way as rebooting, and thus
accessing the hardware doesn't seem such an onerous task.
Possibly running:
mythtv-setup <hostname>
could make life easier for some, but personally I would rather know that
'dangerous' tasks (for a production environment where if casualty didn't
record for the wife, I would be going there instead) I am definitely modding
the machine I want.
Gareth